Add to Favorites

  • Caption photo "Gender Roles by Age 5"... Add to My Favorites:
  • Puppies, Kittens and Babies (I really should have been a politician!);
  • The English Language (I know, not kewl, but I was reading College Level in 6th grade, so...);
  • Rock Critics (I'm an ex);
  • Comics (Ok, I admit it, I only added this one b/c my dad was a Silver Age Creator);
  • Music from the 50s thru the 90s (from Hank Williams thru Kurt Cobain -- ask me, I probably like it);
  • Classic Comedians (Chaplin, Buster Keaton, vintage Woody Allen);
  • Absurdist Authors (Mark Twain, Tom Wolfe, Hunter S. Thompson, Abbie Hoffman)

Monday, July 25, 2011

Should The Victim Be Vilified?

Our Question for Today:  Should The Victim be Villified?

The hotel maid who alleges Dominic Strauss-Kahn forced her to perform oral sex on him at his Sofitel suite [Blogspot won't let me enter her name because it's not in their dictionary], has given ABC-TV and Newsweek interviews detailing her allegations, which Strauss-Kahn publicly denies.  Fox News has given much time to video sound bites from her TV appearance and implies the interviews are a bid for publicity on the part of the victim.  I feel such an implication vilifies the victim involved.  According to her account, she was forced, she was frightened she might lose her job, and she was more frightened afterwards, when she realized the powerful position of the man she had legally accused of assault (not having known who he was at the time she lodged her complaint).  She feared she might be lethally targeted for her accusations (she is now under police protection).

What do you think?  Do you feel her coming forward is a mere bid for publicity, or an effort to avoid a stain on her name resulting from the highly-publicized legal proceedings?  Should this victim be vilified?

No comments:

Post a Comment